On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me… TeaShed Mince Pies!
It’s the last day of The TeaShed 12 Days Of Tea and I thought it would be lovely to finish with a Christmas classic, mince pies! Mince pies were bound to make an appearance at some point but to keep with our 12 Days Of Tea theme they’ve been given a tea-related improvement.
Made with a crumbly almond pastry encasing the rich fruity filling, these mince pies will be perfect to make today in time for a lovely Christmas Eve in front of the fire. Especially with a warming glass of Baby It’s Cold Outside Chai Mulled Wine!
To make about 12 TeaShed Mince Pies you will need:
250g plain flour
60g ground almonds
60g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
For the glaze:
2 TeaShed tea bags (flavour of your choice)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1. Rub chilled diced butter into the flour, almonds and icing sugar until you get a crumb-like texture
2. Add the egg yolks and combine the mixture with a wooden spoon and then use your hands
3. Put in 1-2tbsp cold water if the mixture is dry or crumbly and needs some help combining
4. Roll the dough out onto a floured surface and cut out 12 mince pie bases using a large circular cookie cutter and 12 lids using a slightly smaller cutter
5. Put the larger circles into paper cases inside a patty tin and then fill with a few teaspoons of mincemeat mixture depending on the size.
6. Make a tea glaze using a TeaShed tea of your choice (I used Earl Grey). Heat 1 cup of water and brew 2 Berry Orange tea bags for 10 mins. Remove the teabags, boil the tea in a pan and add 1 cup sugar. Heat on low for 10-12 minutes until all the sugar has dissolved and the volume have reduced by half. Let it cool for 20 minutes before drizzling some in each mince pie.
7. Place the lids on top and brush with a little milk. Then bake in the oven at 180 degrees C for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
8. Cool on a wire rack and then dust with icing sugar before serving
Have a very Merry Christmas!
love TEAm TeaShed xx