One the third day of Christmas my true love sent to me… Red Velvet Cookies!
Although Red Velvet usually comes in the form of cakes or buns today we have a recipe for Red Velvet Cookies and in true Christmas spirit they are red and white like Santa’s hat! These chewy, chocolate biscuits are devilishly good and a wonderful tea time treat with Assam or Redbush & Vanilla tea. This recipe will make about 18 cookies so you can use it for a colourful addition to an afternoon tea spread when you’re entertaining guests. Rich in chocolatey taste and dark red colour, these could also make a tasty Christmas gift. And I think everyone can agree that food presents never let you down!
200g plain flour
150g brown sugar
50g granulated sugar
20g cocoa powder
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1&1/2 tsp red food colouring
1. Beat the butter with a mixer or wooden spoon until creamy, then beat in the sugar and then the egg, milk and vanilla until they are all combined.
2. Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt) and mix.
3. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients a little at a time and stir by hand or in an electric mixer until a sticky dough forms. Here you can mix in the food colouring to give the redness.
4. Cover the dough with foil and chill for at least 1 hour. Then scoop out equal sized balls, roll them in icing sugar and put onto a (greased or lined) baking tray. Squash the dough with your hand or the bottom of a glass so they spread a little.
5. Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees C then let them cool on a wire rack before decorating or serving.
Merry Christmas! xx