On the eight day of Christmas my true love sent to me… Two Tea Christmas Cake!
Well it’s less than a week til the 25th and today’s 12 Days Of Tea recipe uses a combination of TeaShed teas, Chai and Berry Orange. These are two quite festive flavours and what better way to use them than in a fruity pre-Christmas Christmas cake. The mixed fruit is soaked in spiced Baby, It’s Cold Outside *Tea to infuse the warming flavours of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, clove and nutmeg. This also gives the cake a lovely moist texture.
As this cake is sightly different to a classic Christmas cake I’ve decorated it with an alternative to the usual marzipan and icing combination. Using our tasty Berry Orange *Tea I made a sweet glaze to cover the top. This gives the cake a lovely shine as well as infusing the flavours of strawberry, orange and lemongrass into the sponge.
250g light muscovado sugar
300g plain flour
1tbsp ground cinnamon
1kg mixed fruit
200g dried cranberries
Zest of 2 oranges
150ml Baby, It’s Cold Outside Chai tea
For the glaze:
230ml Berry Orange *Tea
1. Soak the dried fruit in strong brewed Baby, It’s Cold Outside Chai tea for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, sugar, eggs and cinnamon until smooth. Mix in the fruit, cranberries and orange zest until nicely distributed. Then sift the flour and fold into the batter with a metal spoon.
3. Decant the mixture into a lined round cake tin and smooth the surface with a spatula.
4. Bake at 150 degrees C for 1&1/2 to 2 hours or until a skewer comes out of the cake clean. If the top of the cake starts to brown too quickly cover it with foil or reduce the temperature slightly.
5. Let the cake cool on a wire rack before applying the glaze. To make the Berry Orange glaze heat 1 cup of water and brew the Berry Orange tea bags for 10 mins. Remove the teabags, boil the tea in a pan and add 1 cup of sugar. Heat on low for 10-12 minutes until all the sugar has dissolved and the volume have reduced by half. Let it cool for 20 minutes before drizzling over the cake.
6. The cake will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Enjoy this cake with a glass of hot Chai Mulled Wine using our 12 Days Of Tea recipe!
Merry Christmas! xx